Chocolate marquise with plums and butterscotch
Prep time:plus chilling
Total time:plus chilling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Our chocolate marquise with plum and butterscotch is a luxurious chocolate dessert that is so impressive. The sweet butterscotch sauce and fresh, fruity plums work perfectly with the chocolate to create a dessert with real finesse. This chocolate marquise can be made in advance and frozen, just be sure to freeze the plums separately, or just make them at the last minute as you defrost the chocolate marquise.
- 12 plums, stoned and quartered
- 300g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 125g unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 large egg yolks
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 500ml double cream
- 45g cocoa powder, sifted
- 45g golden syrup
- 75g light muscovado sugar
- 30g butter
- 75ml double cream
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5ltr terrine dish
- To make the marquise, melt the chocolate and butter in a heavy-based pan over a low heat. Mix well then set aside to cool.
- Using a mixer, beat the egg yolks with the sugar, until creamy and thick. Turn the speed to low and, while continuing to mix, pour in the chocolate in a slow, steady stream. Still on a low speed, add half the cream and mix until well incorporated. Add the cocoa, a heaped tbsp at a time. Mix in the rest of the cream, being careful not to over-mix.
- Double-line the terrine with cling film, leaving excess over the sides. Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface. Leave in the fridge to set for 3 hours or overnight. Turn out on to a serving plate and use a dry palette knife to smooth rough edges.
- Put the plums in a pan with 1tbsp of water, cover and heat gently for around 4 mins, or until they’re softened and juicy. Set aside to cool.
- To make the sauce, put the syrup, sugar and butter in a pan and heat gently, until sugar has dissolved. Turn up the heat and bubble gently for 5 mins. Slowly pour in the cream and vanilla. Stir well. Remove from the heat to cool.
- Spoon the plums and their juice over the marquise and finish with a drizzle of butterscotch sauce.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 608(kcal)
- Fat 47.0g
- Saturates 28.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.