Pesto salmon en croute
Prep time:plus chilling
Total time:plus chilling
Skill level: Easy peasy
This show-stopping pesto salmon en croute makes a great alternative main and is easier than you’d think to make. Crisp and buttery puff pastry is wrapped around succulent salmon fillets with an extra kick of flavour from the pesto. Make sure you buy all butter puff pastry for this pesto salmon en croute, it makes such a difference!
IngredientsFor the salmon en croute:
- 2 x 320g sheets puff pastry
- 250g baby spinach
- 200g tub curd cheese
- 2tbsp fresh pesto
- 150g white and brown crabmeat (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- star cutters
- sprig of holly, for decoration
- Trim off the tail end of the salmon fillets and reserve. Take one sheet of pastry (keep the rest chilling) and cut to a shape just larger than one fillet, ours was 15 x 30cm. Place the pastry on a parchment-lined baking sheet, prick several times with a fork and bake for 15 mins, until golden.
- Put the spinach into a large bowl and microwave on High for 2 mins. Put the spinach into a sieve, resting over a bowl of water. Press out excess moisture with a potato masher.
- Stir together the curd cheese and pesto.
- Arrange half the spinach over the pastry base, top with a salmon fillet and season generously. Spread over the pesto curd cheese mixture, then sprinkle over the crab, if using. Top with the other salmon fillet and the remaining spinach.
- Brush the pastry edges with egg. Use the remaining pastry sheet to cover the salmon parcel, trimming as necessary. Press well into the edges and tuck the edges under the base. Chill for a few hours.
- Use the cutters to stamp stars out of the remaining pastry. Brush the underside of pastry stars with water and place on top. Chill until needed.
- Heat oven to 200°C. Brush pastry-wrapped salmon all over with the beaten egg and bake for 30 mins. Cover with foil, if browning too much, cover and cook for 15 mins more, until the pastry is crisp and golden and the salmon is cooked through. To serve, garnish with lemon wedges and decorate with holly.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 593(kcal)
- Fat 39.0g
- Saturates 12.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.