Brie quiche with cranberries
Prep time:plus chilling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A Brie quiche with hints of cranberry is a fantastic way to use up any cheeseboard leftovers. It’s rich, indulgent and fantastical good! A quiche is the perfect buffet dish, and this Brie quiche has some extra festive flair. We’ve added streaky bacon to our Brie quiche, but you can leave it out to make this recipe veggie friendly if you prefer.
IngredientsFor the pastry:
- 200g plain flour
- 100g chilled butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 30g butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 250g streaky bacon, chopped
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 400ml creme fraiche
- 125g Brie, sliced
- 3tbsp cranberry sauce
- 60g Cheddar, grated
- 20cm loose-based tart tin, greased
- To make the pastry, put the flour, a pinch of salt and the butter into a food processor. Whizz until the mixture resembles crumbs, then add the egg and 1tbsp cold water. Blend until mixture just comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead lightly until smooth. Wrap and chill for 30 mins.
- Roll out the pastry and use to line the tin, pressing well into the edges. Chill for 20 mins.
- Heat the oven to 200°C with a baking sheet in it. Trim edges off the pastry case. Line with baking paper and beans and bake blind directly on baking sheet for 10 mins. Remove the paper and beans and cook for 10 more mins.
- Heat the butter, then add the onions and fry gently for 5 mins to soften.
- Put the bacon in another pan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. (This removes excess fat.) Drain, pat dry and add to the onion. Cook for a few mins to crisp up.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 190°C. Crack the eggs into a jug and add the crème fraiche. Season and mix together.
- Spoon the onion and bacon into the pastry case. Arrange slices of Brie over them, with teaspoonfuls of cranberry sauce. Scatter with grated cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the filling. Bake for 30 mins until golden and firm. It’s best eaten warm.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 854(kcal)
- Fat 67.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.