Mincemeat strudel with Bramley apples
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Our mincemeat strudel with Bramley apples is the epitome of winter comfort food. You really cannot get any more festive than a warm mincemeat strudel, spiced with cinnamon and speckled with cranberries. Using ready made filo pasty takes all the fuss out of this mincemeat strudel, you can find it stocked in several supermarkets - check the butter aisle as it is often hiding there. Serve this mincemeat strudel with custard, cream or ice cream – whichever you prefer. This is the perfect recipe to use up leftovers after Christmas - just be sure to grab a slice before it all disappears!
- 700g Bramley apples, cored, quartered and cut into chunks
- 50g light muscovado sugar
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 125g cranberry mincemeat
- 270g pack (6 sheets) filo pastry
- 60g butter, melted
- 30g breadcrumbs
- 175g icing sugar, sieved
- 1-2tbsp lemon juice
- baking tray, greased and lined
- Put the apples in a pan with the sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and 1tbsp water. Cover and heat gently for 15 mins to soften the apples. Stir in the mincemeat and leave to cool slightly. Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Take 2 sheets of filo pastry, overlapping by 8cm, on the baking sheet. Brush all over with melted butter. Repeat twice with the remaining filo pastry.
- Scatter over the breadcrumbs. Spoon the apple mixture down the middle of the pastry, along the seam. Roll up the pastry around it, folding over ends and making sure the fold is on the underside. Cut a few slashes in the top. Bake for 25-30 mins, until golden.
- Mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice to make a smooth piping consistency. Drizzle, or pipe, icing in a zigzag, over the strudel.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 464(kcal)
- Fat 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.