Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Our hearty beef cobbler is the epitome of comfort food. Topped with home-made dumplings, this beef cobbler will warm you up nicely on a cold evening and is just the kind of dish you want when youíre feeling under the weather. Made with frozen mince to keep the price down, this beef cobbler is very affordable. Using frozen mince is great when cooking for one as you can use as much or as little as you need and it drastically reduces your food waste. Cooking for one can be tricky, and itís easy to end up eating convenience food or eating the same thing over and over. We think itís important to still treat yourself to some good grub when cooking for one, and this beef cobbler is a great way to start. Seasoned with a dash of Worcestershire sauce and packed with vegetables, this hearty and warming single serve dish is sure to become a favourite in no time.
- 1tsp sunflower oil
- 1tbsp chopped onion
- 125g frozen minced beef
- 200ml beef stock or water
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3tbsp frozen mixed vegetables
- 1tbsp gravy granules
- 100g self-raising flour
- 30g butter
- 2tbsp milk
- Heat the oven to 190įC. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for 2 mins.
- Add the mince and season well, then cook it for 5 mins until nicely browned.
- Pour in the stock or water, then add the Worcestershire sauce and simmer, covered, for 15 mins.
- Add the frozen mixed veg and gravy granules. Cook for 1 min, then pour into an ovenproof dish.
- Tip the flour into a bowl and add a generous pinch of salt. Rub in the butter, then mix in the milk, to form a sticky dough.
- Roll into 2-3 dumplings and pop on top of the mince. Bake for 20 mins, until the dumplings are cooked through and pale golden.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 997(kcal)
- Fat 51.0g
- Saturates 26.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.