Tom Kerridge's North African soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Tom Kerridge's North African soup is the perfect meal if you fancy something healthy but also warming and filling. If a salad isn't really cutting it for dinner, we highly recommend giving this Tom Kerridge recipe a go, especially when it's chilling outside and you need a steaming dinner to warm you up. This delicious soup is packed with flavour and you won't believe it's only 235 calories per serving. Tom Kerridge's North African soup will take you about 15 mins to prep, and another 30 mins to cook, which means you'll have a homemade soup ready to be served in less than an hour. Tom Kerridge's soup super easy to whip up too, in just four easy steps. This dish is also completely vegetarian, which is great if you've cut out meat from your diet - and works out cheaper too! Tom says: 'Think of this soup like a minestrone but with lots of big, bold North African flavours. Rose harissa is a fantastic ingredient to keep in your fridge – the smallest amount brings so many extra layers of taste. Chickpeas and aubergine add body, replacing the need for pasta or meat to make this a satisfying one-bowl meal.'
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tsp rose harissa paste
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1.2 litres fresh vegetable stock
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 450g aubergines, diced
- 300g courgettes, diced
- 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained (240g drained weight)
- 150g frozen broad beans
- 2 handfuls of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Like frozen peas, frozen broad beans taste fresh all year round as they are frozen quickly after picking. Keep a bag in your freezer to add extra texture and taste to stews, soups and casseroles.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan over a high heat. When hot, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, adding a splash of water if they start to stick. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Lower the heat a little and stir through the cumin and ground coriander. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute and then add the rose harissa and tomato purée and stir over the heat for another minute.
- Add the veg stock, tinned tomatoes, aubergines, courgettes and chickpeas. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 20–30 minutes.
- Add the broad beans, chopped coriander and lemon zest. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into warmed large bowls to serve.
Extract taken from Lose Weight for Good by Tom Kerridge (Absolute, £22) is out now. Photography © Cristian Barnett.