Tom Kerridge's courgette cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Courgette cake is a lovely treat if you fancy something different, and Tom Kerridge has just the perfect way to make a mouthwatering courgette cake recipe. It will take you just 10 mins to make this courgette cake recipe, and another 50 mins to bake it - so you will have a delicious courgette cake ready to be devoured in one hour! A slice of this courgette cake contains 365 calories, so this courgette cake recipe is a healthy treat that won't break the diet. Tom Kerridge says: 'Like the carrots in a carrot cake, courgette keeps this delicious cake lovely and moist. A light cream cheese and lime icing provides a refreshing contrast. The cake will keep in the fridge for a couple of days – just bring it to room temperature before serving to enjoy it at its best.'
- Sunflower oil spray
- 250g half-fat margarine
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp granulated sweetener
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped
- Finely grated zest of 2 limes
- 200g courgettes, grated
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp light cream cheese
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to fan 180°C/gas 4. Spray a 900g (2lb) non-stick loaf tin with a few sprays of oil.
- Using a stand mixer or electric hand whisk and large bowl, cream together the margarine, caster sugar and sweetener until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ground cardamom together over the mixture, add the vanilla seeds and lime zest and fold in gently, using a spatula, until just combined. Lastly, fold in the grated courgettes.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin and gently level the surface. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 50–60 minutes. To test, insert a skewer into the middle of the cake: it should come out clean; if not give it a little longer.
- Once cooked, leave the cake to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, in a bowl, whisk the icing sugar, cream cheese and lime juice together until smoothly combined.
- Spread the icing on top of the cake and sprinkle with the lime zest. Cut into 8 thick slices to serve.
Extract taken from Lose Weight for Good by Tom Kerridge (Absolute, £22), out now. Photography © Cristian Barnett.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 365(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.