Asian pancakes with prawns, cabbage and soy
Cooking time:plus resting
Skill level: Easy peasy
Our Asian pancakes with prawn, cabbage and soy are so easy and quick to make they’ll soon become a mid-week favourite. You could cook these Asian pancakes to celebrate Chinese New Year or as part of a Pancake Day feast. Some people forget about pancakes once Shrove Tuesday is out the way but we think they are great all year round. These savoury Asian pancakes put prawns, spring onions, cabbage and potato in the pancake batter giving them a thicker texture. We’ve topped them with a scattering of sesame seeds, sliced radishes and spring onions and a drizzle of brown sauce and mayonnaise – it might sound odd but once you’ve tried it you’ll see why it just works!
- 125g plain flour
- 150ml sparkling water
- 1½tsp soy sauce
- 2 eggs
- 150g peeled, cooked king prawns
- 200g spring cabbage, shredded
- 45g potato, grated
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced, plus extra to garnish
- 30g butter
- Brown sauce
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 4 spring onions, cut into matchsticks
- 4tbsp sesame seeds
- Tip the flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the water and soy sauce and crack in the eggs. Beat with a hand whisk, gradually incorporating the flour. Add the prawns, cabbage, potato, spring onions and red chilli, and fold through. Leave for 30 mins.
- Melt half the butter in a frying pan. Spoon in half the mixture and spread to a 20cm diameter circle. Cook for around 3 mins on each side or until browned. Make another one.
- Serve pancakes with a drizzle of mayo, brown sauce, then scatter over the radish, spring onions, sesame seeds and chilli.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 270(kcal)
- Fat 10.0g
- Saturates 5.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.