Spiced pecan cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
This spiced pecan cake has all the flavours of a pecan pie – what’s not to love? We are sure this pecan cake will quickly become one of your go-to loaves to bake. It’s such an easy recipe to follow and can be on the table to eat in just over an hour. Pecans are full of healthy mono-saturated fats and are a good source of vitamin E, fibre and antioxidants. The light brown muscavado sugar in the pecan cake mixture gives such a wonderful, caramel-like finish that works wonders with the pecans. We’ve used just a teaspoon of mixed spice but it is amazing how much flavour you get from this. Shop bought mixed spice is a blend of allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, cloves, coriander and ginger. Cinnamon is the dominant flavour and if you really like it, you could add a touch more to the mixture. Serve with a good glug of double cream or a spoon of clotted cream ice cream.
- 100g plus 80g butter
- 100g plus 80g light brown muscavado sugar
- 100g whole pecans
- 2 eggs
- 160g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1tsp mixed spice
- splash of milk
- cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a 500g loaf tin with baking paper.
- Rub together the 80g butter and sugar. Mix in the pecans, and place on the base of a lined loaf tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add the eggs one at a time beating well between each addition. Stir through the flour, baking salt and mixed spice. Fold in the pecan nuts and add a little milk if necessary – the mixture should be a soft dropping consistency.
- Spoon the mixture over the pecan, sugar and butter base. Bake for 35-40 mins until golden brown and cooked through. Serve sliced with cream.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 351(kcal)
- Fat 23.0g
- Saturates 10.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.