This tasty, cheesy bake is made with butternut squash and potatoes. The hearty gratin is very easy to make and is ideal when the weather is getting colder
- 500g (1lb) potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 60g (2oz) butter, diced
- 500g (1lb) squash, peeled, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 150g (5oz) raclette cheese slices
- 200ml (7fl oz) hot vegetable stock
- 2 tbss chopped fresh parsley
- 1.25 litre (2 pint)
Set the oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180°C. Arrange a layer of potatoes in the dish, season and top with a few slices of red onion and knobs of butter.
Cover with a layer of squash slices, season, sprinkle with some garlic and repeat the potato layer.
Top with a layer of squash, interleaved with the raclette cheese and finished with the onion and butter.
Pour over the vegetable stock. Cover and bake for 1 hour, uncover and cook for 30 mins or more, until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.
Video of the Week
If you can’t find raclette slices, use Emmental or Gruyère cheese instead.