Keep eating salads even though the temperature might be dropping – they are so good for you and this one tastes fabulous!
- 450g/1lb pumpkin or butternut squash (weighed without skin or seeds)1tbsp olive oil
- 175g (6oz) fine green beans
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 250g (9oz) baby spinach
- 100g (4oz) watercress
- Handful of rocket or lamb's lettuce
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 225g (8oz) Cheshire Cheese
- 50g (2oz) toasted pine nuts
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the dressing:
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp walnut or sesame oil
- 1tbsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
Preheat the oven to 200°C /fan 180°C/gas 6. Cut the pumpkin or butternut squash into 2.5cm/1 inch cubes and tip into the roasting pan.
Add the olive oil, season with pepper, then toss to coat. Roast for about 25-30 mins, turning once, until tender. Meanwhile, lightly cook the green beans for 4-5 mins in boiling water.
Drain, then rinse with cold water to cool quickly. Put the red onion, green beans, spinach, watercress, lambs lettuce or rocket and tomatoes into a salad bowl. Add the Cheshire cheese and pine nuts.
Make the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, walnut or sesame oil, vinegar and mustard. Season with black pepper.
Add to the salad with the warm roasted pumpkin or squash. Toss the salad, share between 4 bowls and serve immediately.
Video of the Week
Use flaked almonds instead of pine nuts, if you prefer.