A dash of Worcestershire sauce and fresh thyme is all this easy chicken hotpot needs.
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1tbsp plain flour
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 225g (8oz) shallots, peeled and halved
- 600ml (1pt) chicken stock
- 2tbsp (30ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small swede, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 225g (8oz) baby new potatoes, halved
- 350g (12oz) carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Crusty bread, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). Coat the chicken thighs in the flour. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and fry the chicken thighs over a high heat until browned, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the rest of the oil and the shallots to the pan and fry for 4-5 mins. Pour in the stock and Worcestershire sauce and bring to the boil.
Place the shallots and stock in a shallow casserole dish. Add the swede, potatoes and carrots, and top with the chicken thighs and fresh thyme and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and cook for 60-75 mins until the vegetables are very tender.
Serve the hotpot in warmed bowls with crusty bread.