This rich chocolate and almond cake is a dessert to die for! Decadent, dark and delicious it makes a great change from Christmas cake or pudding.
- 200g (7oz) dairy-free spread
- 200g (7oz ) dairy-free plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 250g (9oz) caster sugar
- 5 large free range eggs, separated
- 200g (7oz ) ground almonds
- Finely-grated zest of half a lemon
- Dairy-free cocoa powder to dust
Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5. Grease a 23cm (9in) spring release tin and line the base with baking parchment.
Place the dairy-free spread and chocolate in a large bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until melted. Remove from the heat and beat in the sugar and the egg yolks.
Whisk the egg whites until they reach soft peaks. Fold the ground almonds, lemon zest and egg whites into the chocolate mixture and transfer to the prepared tin.
Cook in the centre of the oven for 45-50 mins until well risen and firm to the touch. 5. Cool in the tin, transfer to a wire rack, removing the baking parchment. Leave to cool. The cake will flatten on cooling.
Place on a serving plate and dust with the cocoa powder.