A delicious and moist cake especially decorated for Easter. The icing and filling is of creamy mascarpone cheese and tangy lemon curd. This is a real treat for the whole family and for any occasions
- For this Easter recipe
- you will need:
- 300g (10oz) golden caster sugar
- 3 med eggs
- 300ml (½ pint) sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g (10oz) self-raising flour, sieved
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 60g (2oz) desiccated coconut
- 150g (5oz) carrot, peeled and grated
- 225g can pineapple in juice, drained and crushed in a blender
- Filling and decoration:
- 500g tub mascarpone cheese
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 8 tbs lemon curd
- Good handful of mini sugared eggs
- 2 x 20cm (8in) round cake tins, lined with baking parchment
Set the oven to Gas Mark 5 or 190°C. Put the sugar, eggs, sunflower oil and vanilla into a bowl and whisk with an electric mixer for a few mins, until pale and well combined.
Sieve in the flour and cinnamon. Add the coconut, carrot and pineapple. Gently fold everything together. Divide mixture between the tins. Bake for 30 mins, until well-risen, golden and shrinking away from the sides of the tin. Turn out on to a wire rack to cool.
To make the filling: Put the mascarpone, vanilla and sugar in a bowl and mix together until smooth.
Slice each cake in half, horizontally. Put the base of 1 cake on to a cake stand or serving plate, spread with 4 tbs lemon curd. Top with another cake and spread with half the flavoured mascarpone. Repeat with the other 2 layers of cake and arrange the sugared eggs on top.
The sugared Easter eggs tend to soften and the colours run, so pop them on the cake just before serving.