This ultimate comfort food is quick to make, and tastes indulgently creamy without any cream.
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 2 leaves fresh sage, whole
- 2 cloves garlic, whole
- 3 strips pancetta or streaky bacon, chopped
- 150g canned pumpkin puree
- 125ml semi-skimmed milk or unsweetened soya milk
- 40g freshly grated hard cheese, such as Parmesan or Pecorino Romano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Dash freshly grated nutmeg
- 400g packet gnocchi di patate
Put water on to boil for the gnocchi according to packet instructions
Melt butter in saucepan over medium-low heat, then add sage and garlic and sauté for one minute. Add bacon or pancetta, increase heat to medium, and fry until just crisp. Add pumpkin puree, stirring constantly until pumpkin is heated through.
Slowly add milk while stirring pumpkin mixture constantly. Simmer on low heat for five minutes.
Once water is boiling, add gnocchi and cook according to packet instructions.
Add grated cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg to sauce and stir. Add more milk if sauce is too thick. Remove garlic and sage from sauce and discard. Toss sauce with gnocchi, and serve with more grated cheese and fresh sage leaves for garnish, if desired.
You can make your own pumpkin puree by baking your pumpkin in the oven and then blending it into a puree