This quick-to-prepare recipe makes a subtle, delicately-flavoured cake. Cut into squares and serve with high tea. Perfection!
- 200g (7oz) plain flour
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- 125g (4½ oz) soft, unsalted butter
- Juice and grated lemon zest of 2 organic or unwaxed lemons
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- ½ x 284ml carton buttermilk
- 2tsp poppy seeds
- 2tbsp icing sugar, to dust
- You will need:
- 15cm (6in) square tin, completely lined with parchment paper
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). Sieve the flour, caster sugar, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Then whisk in the butter until you’ve got crumbs.
Beat together the lemon zest, whole egg, egg yolks and buttermilk in a bowl. Add to the flour mixture, beating all the time. Then stir in the poppy seeds and pour into the tin. Bake on the middle shelf for around 45 mins.
Cool in tin, cut into squares and serve with a light dusting of icing sugar and fruit.
Video of the Week
To find out if your cake is ready, insert a skewer in it: it should come out clean.