Lisa Faulkner’s lemon meringue sandwich cookies with homemade lemon curd are deliciously sweet, light and easy to make at home. This recipe makes 12 generous-sized biscuits filled with a sharp homemade lemon curd. These pretty biscuits and the homemade lemon curd will take around 2 hours to make, but are well worth the effort. Make the lemon curd ahead of the biscuits so it has plenty of time to set and develop in flavour.
- For Betty's lemon curd (makes 1 x 420g jar)
- 225g caster sugar
- 60g unsalted butter
- Zest 1 unwaxed lemon
- Juice 2 lemons
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- For the biscuits
- 250g plain flour
- 100g rice flour
- 250g salted butter, softened
- 75g golden caster sugar
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 1 egg yolk
- For the filling
- 200ml double cream
- 3 tbsp Betty’s lemon curd
- 4 meringue shells, crushed
For Betty’s lemon curd:
- Put the sugar, butter, lemon zest and juice into a non-stick pan and place over a low heat. Stir gently with a whisk until the butter has melted then whisk in the beaten eggs – you’ll see it start to thicken.
- Switch to a wooden spoon and stir gently for 10-15 minutes. It should thicken enough to cling to the back of the spoon. Remove from the heat and leave to cool, stirring occasionally.
- When cool, pour into a sterilised jar.
For the biscuits:
- Sift the flours into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the butter, sugar, lemon zest and egg yolk. Gradually work in the flour using your fingertips until the mixture comes together to form a soft dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes until firm.
- Preheat the oven 150C, gas 2 and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Dust the work surface with a little flour and roll out the dough to a thickness of 5mm. Cut into discs with a 6cm round cutter and place on the prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes until firm.
- Bake the biscuits for about 30 minutes until a pale golden colour, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cream to soft peaks then fold through Betty’s lemon curd and crushed meringue. Spoon the mixture onto half the biscuits, then sandwich with the remaining plain biscuits.
Video of the Week
Store the biscuits in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Store the lemon curd in a jar in the fridge.