This delicious low-fat fruit cake won’t ruin your diet or your purse. It takes just 15 minutes to prepare and costs 13p per slice – bargain!
- 1 tea bag
- 200g sultanas
- 100g dried apricots, chopped
- 175g soft brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 225g wholemeal flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 1kg loaf tin
1. Soak the tea bag in 300ml boiling water and steep for 5 mins. Add the fruit and soak for 2-3 hrs.
2. Preheat the oven to 180ºC (gas mark 4). Grease and base line the 1kg loaf tin.
3. Mix the sugar and eggs into the fruit mixture. Mix the flour, baking powder and mixed spice together and stir into the fruit mixture.
4. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 mins or until firm to touch and a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before removing from the tin.
More healthy recipes
<strong>Top tip:</strong> If you flour nuts and dried fruits before adding them to cake recipes, they won't sink to the bottom.