Treat yourself and the family to this healthy warm new potato and flaked mackerel stir-fry with capers and fresh lemon
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 mackerel fillets, thawed if frozen, and dried with kitchen paper
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 250g (8oz) cooked new potatoes, sliced
- About 30g (1oz) butter
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- Handful of parsley leaves
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan or wok. Put the mackerel fillets in whole, skin-side down, and fry over a high heat for 3 mins, to crisp the skin, then turn them over and cook for a minute. Take out of the pan and set aside.
Add the onion and potato slices to the pan and cook for 5 mins, until browned. Meanwhile, skin and flake fish.
Add the butter to the pan, with the capers and lemon zest and juice. Add the fish. Heat through and serve with parsley leaves sprinkled over, and with a salad on the side.
Video of the Week
Frozen mackerel fillets are great to have in the freezer for quick omega 3-loaded meals