Chef Madhur Jaffrey’s fenugreek chicken is taken from her TV series, Curry Nation and is simple to make and oozing with traditional Indian flavours. This recipe uses ginger and turmeric to compliment the aniseed flavour of fenugreek in this classic chicken dish.
- 4tbsp olive or sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1tsp finely grated or crushed garlic
- 1tsp peeled, finely grated root ginger
- 700g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 4tbsp canned plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 hot green chillies, finely chopped
- 1tsp turmeric
- ¼tsp chilli powder
- 1tsp garam masala
- 1 ½tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
Set a 25cm pan over a medium heat. Add the oil and, when it’s hot, tip in the onion.
Fry for 10 mins, or until it is light brown, then add the garlic and ginger. Fry for 2 mins.
Add the chicken and brown for 2 mins. Put in the tomatoes and green chillies. Stir for 2 mins, then add the turmeric and ½ tsp of salt.
Mix well for 5 mins before adding the chilli powder and garam masala. Stir and crumble in the fenugreek leaves.
Mix in 360ml of hot water, or enough just to cover the chicken, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over a low heat for 20 mins, then serve.
Video of the Week
Using chicken thighs in this recipe makes it a much cheaper option than if it used chicken breasts