After a tasty meat-free meal in under half an hour? Try Mary’s medley of fresh veg like courgettes and peas tossed in a creamy tomato sauce with pasta ribbons.
- 125g (4oz) asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 125g (4oz) broccoli florets
- 1 courgette, sliced
- Salt and black pepper, to season
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄2 red and 1⁄2 yellow pepper, halved, seeded, and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 200g (7oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 90g (3oz) frozen petits pois
- 125ml (4fl oz) double cream
- 500g (1lb) fettuccine (long pasta ribbons)
- 4tbsp shredded fresh basil
- 90g (3oz) Parmesan cheese, grated, to serve (OR use a vegetarian cheese substitute like
- Gran moravia)
Cook the asparagus, broccoli, and courgette in a large pan of boiling, salted water for 3 mins or until just tender. Drain, rinse under cold running water, and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan, add the peppers and garlic, and cook over a medium heat, stirring, for 4 mins or until the peppers are softened.
Add the tomatoes and the petits pois, and cook for 5 mins or until the liquid in the pan is reduced by about a half.
Add the asparagus, broccoli, and courgette, stir in the cream, and boil for 1-2 mins to reduce the liquid and concentrate the flavour. Add salt and pepper to taste, and remove from the heat.
Cook the fettuccine in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8-10 mins until just tender.
Drain the fettuccine thoroughly, add to the sauce, and toss over a high heat. Stir in the shredded basil and serve at once, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
Healthy option: For a lighter, less creamy, version of this classic dish, use 1 × 400g (13oz) can chopped tomatoes and omit the cream. Instead of sprinkling with Parmesan to serve, sprinkle with more shredded fresh basil.