Bake this tasty, easy teatime treat and freeze it ready-sliced – you can whip out just what you need from the freezer when unexpected visitors drop by.
- 175g (6oz) butter
- 100g (3½ oz) caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour
- Grated zest and chopped flesh of 1 large orange
- 250g (8oz) white marzipan, coarsely grated
- For the icing:
- 100g (3½ oz) icing sugar
- 1-2tbsp orange juice
- 15g (½ oz) chopped pistachio nuts (or toasted almonds)
- Tray bake tin, lined with Bakewell paper
Set the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, beat in the eggs, one at a time, with a tbsp of the flour, then beat in the orange zest and roughly chopped orange flesh. Fold in the rest of the flour and half the marzipan.
Spread the mixture into the tin and sprinkle the rest of the marzipan over the top. Bake for 35-40 mins. Leave in the tin for 10 mins to cool, then cool on a wire rack. Cut into 16 slices.
<strong>Top tip:</strong> You can use fresh orange juice or concentrated juice from a carton for the icing.