If you want a really tasty supper on the table in less than 30 mins then try this spicy Tex-Mex dish. For speed the chicken is coated in a ready-made seasoning mix of chilli, pepper and herbs, but you can make your own by mixing 1tsp each chilli powder, dried mixed herbs, ground cumin, cayenne pepper and ground black pepper. To get the delicious char-grilled flavour you’ll need to cook the chicken and veg on a really hot cast-iron skillet. You can use a heavy-based frying pan if you don’t have a skillet but add a little sunflower oil before adding the chicken
- 450g skinless chicken fillet, cut into chunks
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1x30g sachet fajita seasoning
- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into chunks
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and thickly sliced
- 2 yellow peppers, deseeded and thickly sliced
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 flour tortillas, warmed
- Soured cream, lime wedges and fresh coriander, to serve
Mix together 1tbsp of the oil with the fahita seasoning mix in a bowl. Add the chicken chunks and stir to coat in the mixture.
Heat a large cast iron skillet until very hot. Add the chicken and cook over a high heat for 7-8 mins, turning frequently until the chicken is charred in places and cooked through. Remove and set aside.
Toss the peppers and onions in the rest of the oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook on the hot skillet for 4-5 mins, turning frequently until just tender and lightly charred. Return the chicken to the skillet for a couple of minutes until piping hot.
Pile the chicken and vegetables onto warmed tortillas. Top with a spoonful of soured cream and a few coriander leaves. Serve with lime wedges.
Video of the Week
Spread the tortillas with tomato salsa for an extra spicy flavour or mix a little finely chopped red chilli pepper into the soured cream