Looking for a healthier dessert? Try mixed berries topped with crunchy oats. The kids will love the sweet taste and you can give them more of their 5-a-day
- 400g pack frozen berries: raspberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, blackberries (there’s no need to defrost them)
- 4 tsp cassis (blackcurrant liqueur), optional
- 4 tspgolden caster sugar
- 2 level tbsps thickening granules
- For the topping:
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 60g (2oz) light muscovado sugar
- 60g (2oz) plain flour
- 60g (2oz) jumbo oats
- ½ level tsp ground cinnamon
- You will also need
- 4 teacups, buttered, on a baking tray
Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Divide the frozen berries between the 4 cups. Spoon in the cassis, if using, and sprinkle with the sugar and thickening granules.
To make the topping: Put the butter and sugar into a pan and heat gently, stirring, to melt the butter and dissolve the sugar. Spoon in the flour, oats and cinnamon.
Spoon this flapjack-style topping over the fruit. Bake for 25-30 mins until topping is golden.
Video of the Week
If you don’t want to add the cassis, add an extra teaspoon of sugar to the fruit. You don’t need to add any liquid.