This Mr Tumnus’ scones with foraged jam recipe was created by goodtoknow user Monica Bahrenburg as part of HarperCollins’ fun Narnia baking competition.. It combines butter with sugar to make a delicious soft spongey scone served with plenty of cream and fresh jam. These scones only take 15 mins to bake and make plenty to share too!
- To make the scones:
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp salt
- 4tsp cold butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cream, plus some extra
- To make the jam:
- 12oz blackberries
- 1.5oz sugar
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 1/2tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/8tsp fresh thyme
To make the scones:
- Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper .
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut the butter and add to the mixture combining it until it reaches a sand-like texture.
- Stir the sugar and cream into dough. Knead lightly on floured surface and roll out to 1.5 inch thickness
- Cut 2 inch rounds and place on baking sheet. Brush tops with extra cream and bake for 10-15 minutes. Once baked leave to cool on wire rack.
To make the jam:
- Put berries, lemon juice and sugar in bowl. Let it sit for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Pour mixture into medium pot and bring to boil on medium heat and add thyme and ginger. Cook until 220°F skimming off foam as you go.
- Pour into sterlised jars and leave to cool.
- Serve scones with liberal amount of jam and clotted cream.
Our <a href="http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/531168/cups-to-grams-converter">cup converter gadget</a> will come in handy for this recipe