This parsnip and tomato gratin from Woman’s Weekly is nutritious, simple to make, and you can multitask while it cooks in the oven.
- 600g (1¼lb) parsnips, peeled and sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400g can whole plum tomatoes
- 100-125g (3½ -4oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 tbsp coarse breadcrumbs
- A little paprika
Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200ºC. Add the sliced parsnips to a pan of boiling, salted water, bring back to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Drain well.
Spoon half the parsnips into a buttered, deep ovenproof dish. Season well, then spoon the tomatoes and their juice over. Layer the rest of the parsnips on top. Season, then sprinkle with the cheese, breadcrumbs and paprika.
Put the dish on a baking sheet and cook for 35-45 minutes, or until browning on top, and the parsnip slices are tender.
If you have any leftovers, they will reheat well in the microwave.