Our favourite food gifts to make at home
There's something so nice about making a homemade food gift for your loved ones. It shows someone how much you care and they'll really appreciate the time you've taken to prepare them a freshly-made gift at home.
One of the best things about homemade food gifts is that they can be a very cheap present option if you do it the right way - so can save you a fortune in the long run, especially around Christmas when you have lots of people to buy for. We've roughly priced all the recipes in this gallery, so you can budget accordingly, and you might be surprised at just how cheap some of them are!
A big batch of fudge can be divided into individual portions and given as gifts to teachers, colleagues and as stocking fillers for the kids. And a vat of homemade jam or chutney, for instance, can spread very far and you only need a few ingredients and some empty jars. Chocolate truffles, shortbread, sweets - whatever it is you think they'd like , find out their favourite foods and turn them into a gift.
A nice wrapper, some ribbons or a pretty box and some tissue paper will turn any treat into a present and if you're making food gifts for Christmas, you can even get ahead and make these recipes well in advance to get some of the gift buying out of the way.
If you're browsing for ideas for food gifts, add the ones you like to your very own online Recipe Book and keep all your favourite Christmas recipes in one place!
Click through to see all our delicious and easy-to-make food gifts...
First on the must-make list is toffee!
Whether you break it up and wrap it in bags or present in a baking tray tied with a ribbon, toffee is a great foodie gift. It's really easy to make and surprisingly cheap too! Flavour with all sorts for that lucky boy or girl.
To make 2 bags with 10 pieces of toffee in each you will need:
- Butter = 42p
- Caster sugar = 24p
- Molasses sugar = 18p
- Golden syrup = 5p
- Instant coffee granules = 11p
- Cinnamon = 2p
- Cardamom pods = 5p
Price per gift = 53p
Average packaging costs
- Cellophane presentation bags: £4.00 for pack of 50
- Square gift box with handles: £4.79 for pack of 10
- Ribbon: £2.00 for 3 metres
Recipes to make:
Get the recipe: Coffee and cardamom toffee (pictured and priced above)
Get the recipe: Honeycomb toffee
Get the recipe: Hairy Bikers' peanut toffee
- Our best apple cake recipes
- Our best chicken stir-fry recipes
- The 12 most hated Christmas foods - and how to love them!
- Top 20 cake recipes
- 20 food gifts for teachers
- 10 ways with... rhubarb
- The most popular family meals – and how to give them a twist
- Our best homemade salad dressings
- Top 10 food phobias
- Christmas dinner face-off
- Sweet treats face-off
- What topping would you prefer for our classic pancake recipe?
- Vegetable face-off
- Party food face-off
- Halloween recipes face-off
- Euro 2012: Italy vs Spain
- Classic v twist
- Sexy male chefs face-off
- Comfort food face-off
- Cupcake wars
- Healthy or naughty face-off
- Comfort food face-off
- Celeb chef face-off
- England v Germany World Cup food-off