Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood's bake sale advice
Mary says: 'Ingredients cost a lot of money, so it's no good making a big cake to sell at fetes because people have no idea about the cost of the ingredients. Remember to do inexpensive things for fetes - fresh scones, drop scones - because of the cost. The whole thing is about making money for the school, church or charity so just do inexpensive things that will sell well.
'Make a big cake for a raffle only, if things are big you hardly ever get your money back from sales. If you take a plate and put 4 cupcakes on it, wrapped beautifully with a bow on top, you'll get much more money for it. So wrap things, present things nicely - it's got to look smart and tempting. And don't over decorate!'
Paul says: 'It's all about presentation as Mary said. I would get square box with a clear film on top and just put a piece of silicone or something in the bottom of it, pop 4 cupcakes or 4 slices of something in and sell them as a packet - people are far more likely to take that and pop it in their bag than having something individual that could go in a bag and ruin the top. So in a box, secure, and then they can take them home and eat them straight away. You can get the boxes from Lakeland or a lot of supermarkets.'
- Easy baking recipes for kids
- Sweet recipes: Recipes using your favourite sweets and treats
- Easter food traditions: 11 things you have to eat at Easter - and why we eat them
- 20 chicken thigh recipes
- Healthy vegetarian recipes
- Easter lamb recipes
- 150 family dinners under 500 calories
- Jacket potato fillings
- Slimming World cakes and dessert recipes
- Our best apple cake recipes
- Our best chicken stir-fry recipes
- The 12 most hated Christmas foods - and how to love them!
- Top 20 cake recipes
- 20 food gifts for teachers
- 10 ways with... rhubarb
- The most popular family meals – and how to give them a twist
- Our best homemade salad dressings
- Top 10 food phobias
- Christmas dinner face-off
- Sweet treats face-off
- What topping would you prefer for our classic pancake recipe?
- Vegetable face-off
- Party food face-off
- Halloween recipes face-off
- Euro 2012: Italy vs Spain
- Classic v twist
- Sexy male chefs face-off
- Comfort food face-off
- Cupcake wars
- Healthy or naughty face-off
- Comfort food face-off
- Celeb chef face-off
- England v Germany World Cup food-off