I'll pop next door to the elderly spinster who has nobody in her life but her dog and give a card and a homemade mince pie.
The turkey (seasoned, lemon stuffed inside and butter smeared under the breast skin) will go on and then I go for a short walk, possibly to see my mum, then back home to sort the roasties, stuffing and veg. There was a new lunch addition last year of yorkshires, which were really good, so I think there are a keeper even if I only cook for 2!
I may manage a 5 minute walk around the block to escape the heat before serving, around 2pm, roast turkey, crunchy (as coated in flour after parboil) roast potatoes cooked in goose fat with rosemary, homemade sage and onion stuffing, yorkshires, roast parsnips, sprouts, broccoli, carrots and a few peas.
My dad and gran were the only ones for gravy, as I don't want to drown a lovely meal in that stuff! All I add to mine is freshly ground black pepper, a bit of balsamic over the veg and get stuck in!
We always have a Christmas pud, my job is making white sauce if wanted and turning out the light for flaming the pud.
My dad loves to dollop brandy cream on his, but I don't generally have any pud until either later or the next day, which by tradition my gran would always make such a fuss about me doing, even though I've been that way for years!
Presents have now become an after lunch thing, followed by quiet afternoon/evening, catch up with brother and family, and spend the evening at my mums with gift exchanging, possibly returning home or staying.
I may have a small snack at the end of the night. I then watch tv and much look forward to Boxing Day, as there are no rules to conform to and reheated leftovers taste so much better anyway!
- Easy cake recipes
- Easy baking recipes for kids
- Sweet recipes: Recipes using your favourite sweets and treats
- Easter food traditions: 11 things you have to eat at Easter - and why we eat them
- 20 chicken thigh recipes
- Healthy vegetarian recipes
- Easter lamb recipes
- 150 family dinners under 500 calories
- Jacket potato fillings
- Our best apple cake recipes
- Our best chicken stir-fry recipes
- The 12 most hated Christmas foods - and how to love them!
- Top 20 cake recipes
- 20 food gifts for teachers
- 10 ways with... rhubarb
- The most popular family meals – and how to give them a twist
- Our best homemade salad dressings
- Top 10 food phobias
- Christmas dinner face-off
- Sweet treats face-off
- What topping would you prefer for our classic pancake recipe?
- Vegetable face-off
- Party food face-off
- Halloween recipes face-off
- Euro 2012: Italy vs Spain
- Classic v twist
- Sexy male chefs face-off
- Comfort food face-off
- Cupcake wars
- Healthy or naughty face-off
- Comfort food face-off
- Celeb chef face-off
- England v Germany World Cup food-off