High protein foods and recipe ideas
From chicken to lentils, we've rounded up some rather important foods packed full of protein which are perfect for munching on when you're in need of that protein fix.
Protein plays a big part in our diets and is key to keeping us fuller for longer. The amount of protein we each need really depends on our age, current diet and general fitness levels. For example a teenage girl will need less protein in her diet in comparison to an adult woman, a man who exercises on a daily basis will need more protein than a man who doesn't exercise daily or a person on a vegetarian diet is likely to need more protein than a person who eats meat.
Keeping this in mind, the average recommended daily intake (RDI) of protein for an adult woman is about 45 grams a day and the average for an adult man is about 55g. So, if you're feeling the hunger and want to start eating a little healthier, it's time to substitute some of those carbs for protein instead!
Click through to see all of our high protein foods and recipe ideas...
First on the list are lentils:
Protein per 100g: There is about 9g of protein in a 100g serving of lentils which is just about a fifth of your average RDI.
High protein recipes to try:
- If you're looking for something healthy and filling our lentil and pancetta warm salad is the perfect choice. Handful of lentils, diced pancetta and eggs makes this dish a protein feast.
- Our easy-to-make lentil and chickpea soup might not look the part, but it tastes delicious and is a great way of getting some protein into your diet at lunch time.
- Feed your whole family with a Moroccan red lentil and lamb stew. The lentils in this recipe provide most of the protein along with the tender chunks of lamb.
Healthy cooking tip: Cook your lentils in water with half a stock cube. It'll add flavour to your lentils and you won't need to add any extra salt to them afterwards.
- Easy cake recipes
- Easy baking recipes for kids
- Sweet recipes: Recipes using your favourite sweets and treats
- Easter food traditions: 11 things you have to eat at Easter - and why we eat them
- 20 chicken thigh recipes
- Healthy vegetarian recipes
- Easter lamb recipes
- 150 family dinners under 500 calories
- Jacket potato fillings
- Our best apple cake recipes
- Our best chicken stir-fry recipes
- The 12 most hated Christmas foods - and how to love them!
- Top 20 cake recipes
- 20 food gifts for teachers
- 10 ways with... rhubarb
- The most popular family meals – and how to give them a twist
- Our best homemade salad dressings
- Top 10 food phobias
- Christmas dinner face-off
- Sweet treats face-off
- What topping would you prefer for our classic pancake recipe?
- Vegetable face-off
- Party food face-off
- Halloween recipes face-off
- Euro 2012: Italy vs Spain
- Classic v twist
- Sexy male chefs face-off
- Comfort food face-off
- Cupcake wars
- Healthy or naughty face-off
- Comfort food face-off
- Celeb chef face-off
- England v Germany World Cup food-off