This amber-coloured, velvety soup is perfect for lunch with your favourite bread, or as a starter with crème fraiche and toasted pumpkin seeds.
- 375g (13oz) pumpkin, peeled and roughly chopped (you can also use butternut squash)
- 150g (5oz) carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 300g (11oz) onion, roughly chopped
- 1.3 litres (2¼ pt) vegetable stock (or chicken stock for non-veggies)
- 100g red lentils
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- Finely-grated rind and juice of 1 large orange
Put all the ingredients except the orange in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently on the hob for 20-25 mins or until all the vegetables are very tender.
Leave the soup to cool slightly before pureeing in a blender or food processor. Stir in the grated orange rind and juice and adjust seasoning to taste.
<strong>Top tip:</strong> Try adding 1tsp of mild curry paste to the vegetables before cooking for a hint of spice.<br><br>Use butternut squash when pumpkin is out of season.