This tangy red onion marmalade with mustard seed, garlic and chilli is delicious served with mature cheddar cheese or cold meats.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 500g red onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 1tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 60g light muscovado sugar
- 100ml red wine
- 100ml balsamic vinegar
- A handful of thyme sprigs
- 2 small jars, sterilised
Heat the oil in a large pan with the onions and mustard seeds. Cook for 15 mins. Add the garlic, chilli and sugar, and 5 tbsps water. Cover and cook for 15 mins. Add the wine, vinegar and thyme sprigs.
Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20-30 mins until the mixture is syrupy. Remove thyme.
Spoon into the hot, sterilised jars, seal and label. The marmalade will keep 2 months.
Use port, if you want a richer flavoured marmalade instead of the red wine.