Rocket isn’t just for salads. Whizz it up and make an instant pesto sauce that you can stir into pasta dishes.
- 100-120g bag rocket
- 50g (1¾ oz) pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 8tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 50g (1¾ oz) pecorino cheese, finely grated (or other vegetarian equivalent)
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pasta like spaghetti, to serve
- Shavings of pecorino cheese, to serve
Place the rocket leaves and pine nuts in the bowl of a food processor, or blender, along with the olive oil, garlic, pecorino and lemon juice. Purée until the mixture is almost smooth but still has some texture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cook the pasta according to pack instructions, then drain it thoroughly. Add the pesto to the pasta, according to taste, and stir well to coat in the sauce.
Spoon the pasta on to serving plates and scatter some shavings of pecorino over and serve immediately. (Not suitable for freezing).
<strong>Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says:</strong> Rocket leaves should be a deep green colour - avoid any which are starting to turn yellow, as they will be past their best.