Serve some interesting and tasty veg with this year’s Christmas dinner
- 4 medium carrots (about 400g/14oz), peeled and sliced
- 2 medium parsnips (about 300g/10oz), peeled and sliced
- ½ small swede (about 300g/10oz), peeled and diced
- Butternut squash leftover from stuffing recipe, cut into chunks
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunky pieces
- 4tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150ml (¼pt) hot chicken or vegetable stock or water
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- Fresh parsley, to garnish
Set the oven to 200ºC/180ºC Fan/gas 6. Add the carrots to a pan of boiling water, bring back to the boil, then add parsnip and swede, and cook for 5 mins. Drain well.
Put the vegetables in a roasting tin with the squash, if using, red onion wedges and red pepper chunks. Drizzle with the oil to coat well, and season.
Roast the vegetables for 40 mins, then stir well, add the stock and cook for another 15 mins. Stir in the tomatoes and heat through for 5-10 mins. Garnish with parsley.
Video of the Week
The vegetables can be roasted the day before. Cool them in a bowl after roasting. To reheatIn a pan, bring the stock to the boil, add the vegetables and cook for 10-15 mins, stirring occasionally, until they are heated through and tender. Stir in the tomatoes and cook for another few minutes.