Ceviche means to marinate seafood in citrus juices. The citrus marinade ‘lightly cooks’ the salmon leaving it soft and tender. Serve with a side of green beans and summer strawberries
- Juice of 1 lemon, 2 limes and 2 oranges
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely diced
- 500g (1lb) salmon fillet, in one piece, if possible
- 300g (10oz) fine green beans
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 18 small strawberries
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- Pinch of sugar
- Watercress, or pea tops, to garnish
Mix the citrus fruit juices and chilli in a large, shallow bowl.
Cut the salmon into 18 strips about 1cm (½in) wide. Lay the strips in the juices and coat them. Cover with cling film and chill for about four hours, to marinate.
Add the beans to a pan of boiling water and cook for 2-3 mins, then drain and refresh under cold running water or iced water. Drain and dry the beans, and toss them in 1tbsp of the oil.
Arrange the drained salmon strips on plates, then spoon on the beans and sliced strawberries. Whisk 3 tbsp of the chilli marinade with the rest of the oil. Add seasoning, chives, and the sugar to sweeten the dressing. Spoon over the salad. Garnish with a few leaves.
If you can't get salmon fillet in one piece, buy a pack of 4 and cut each one into 3 slices.