This traditional British dish with anchovies is perfect for breakfast or light lunch. And with less cream, it’s healthier than the traditional one!
- 50g can anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained
- 45g (1½ oz) butter, softened
- 2 thick slices white bread
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche or double cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few capers, optional
- Fried or grilled tomatoes
Set aside 4 anchovy fillets. Mash the rest of them with about 30g (1oz) of the butter. Toast the bread and spread it with the anchovy butter.
Meanwhile, beat the eggs with the crème fraîche, or cream, and season lightly.
Melt rest of butter in a small pan. Add egg mixture and cook over a low heat, letting it set, then stirring gently until thickened and scrambled.
Spoon mixture on to toast and arrange the reserved anchovies, halved lengthways, on top, adding the capers, if using. Serve with tomatoes.
<strong>Top tip:</strong> Rinse anchovies before using if you're not keen on their saltiness.