Succulent fish fillets topped with melting Red Leicester cheese taste superb – especially when served with a delicious aubergine and tomato salsa. This is a fabulous dish for a special occasion, yet it’s really easy to make.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small aubergine, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small courgette, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato puree
- a few drops of lemon juice
- 4 x 200g (7oz) fillets of sea bass, cod or haddock
- 100g (4oz) Red Leicester cheese, thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- mixed leaf salad or vegetables, to serve
Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and add the garlic, aubergine, onion and courgette. Cook gently over a medium-low heat until very soft, about 5 – 6 minutes.
Stir the chopped tomatoes and sun-dried tomato puree into the aubergine mixture. Add the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm over a low heat.
Preheat the grill. Arrange the fish fillets on the grill rack and sprinkle with a little more lemon juice. Cook for about 6 – 8 minutes, turning once. To check that the fish is cooked, test with a fork – the flesh should be opaque and should flake easily.
Top the fish with the slices of Red Leicester cheese and grill for a few more moments, until the cheese starts to melt. Serve the fish with the hot aubergine salsa, along with salad or vegetables.
Use your favourite fish for this recipe - the salsa also works well with haddock, halibut, huss or skate.