Prawns, squid, crab – bung all your favourite seafood into this warming, low-fat and nutritious seafood chowder soup.
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 level tbsp plain flour
- 2 fish stock cubes
- 2-3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 300ml (½ pint) milk
- 198g can sweetcorn, drained
- 400g packet mixed raw seafood, defrosted if frozen
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onion and cook over a medium heat for about 5 mins. Add flour to pan. Mix well, so mixture forms a thick paste. Gradually pour in 600ml (1 pint) boiling water, stirring well to give a smooth, thin sauce. Crumble in stock cubes and stir until dissolved.
Add cubed potato to pan. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 10 mins, or until potatoes are just tender.
Add milk and sweetcorn to pan. Bring mixture back to boil. Add seafood. Simmer soup for 3-5 mins, or until fish is cooked.
Season soup. Serve, sprinkled with parsley on top.
The cold soup can be frozen for up to 1 month. Allow to defrost before reheating thoroughly.