Slimming World’s chicken and leek pie is a delicious, hearty pie which is lower in calories than your average pie and takes only 1hr and 30 mins to make. This mouth-watering pie serves 4 people and is just perfect served with freshly cooked vegetables like broccoli, carrots and cauliflower. Once you’ve mastered this easy to make pie you’ll want to make it time and time again. It’s a guilt-free, warm and comforting favourite. If you’re a vegetarian, replce the chicken with Quorn or a bean mix instead made up of cannellini and butterbeans. The leeks in this pie add a real zing of flavour.
- 397g/14oz each of sweet potato and white potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100ml/3½fl oz chicken stock
- 4 tbsp finely chopped parsley for the filling
- 312ml/11fl oz chicken stock
- 2 leeks, washed, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 312g/11oz carrots, peeled and cut into 1.5cm/½in dice
- 198g/7oz fresh or frozen peas
- 100g/3½oz mushrooms, sliced
- 596g/1lb 5oz cooked chicken, cut into 1.5cm/½in dice
- 3 tbsp finely chopped tarragon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- steamed green beans, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Boil all the potatoes in a large saucepan of lightly salted water for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to the pan with the stock, mash until smooth and season well. Stir in the parsley and set aside.
To make the filling place the stock, leeks, garlic, carrots, peas and mushrooms in a saucepan and cook over a gentle heat for 12-15 minutes, stirring often, until the leeks have softened. Add the chicken to the pan and stir to mix well.
Add the tarragon, season well and cook gently for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat and transfer to a medium-sized pie dish.
Spread the mash over the chicken mixture and brush the top with the beaten egg. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Serve immediately with steamed green beans.
Make sure you cut your potatoes and sweet potatoes to roughly the same size so they cook evenly