Smoked trout salad makes the perfect Christmas dinner starter. This simple recipe of smoked trout, quails’ eggs, rocket and chard salad is easy peasy to make – giving you more time to share the day with family and friends
- 12 quails’ eggs
- 6 tbsp (half a pot) crème fraîche
- 2 rounded tsp Dijon mustard
- 8 thin slices brown bread
- About 400g (14oz) smoked trout
- 1 bag of rocket and chard salad leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
Add the quails’ eggs to a small pan of boiling water. Bring back to the boil and simmer for 2½ mins. Drain and cool under cold running water. Peel, rinse and drain.
Mix the crème fraîche and mustard for a dressing.
Toast the bread if you like. Arrange sliced smoked trout on the plates, add salad leaves, and halved quails’ eggs. Season. Serve with a lemon wedge.
Spoon a little dressing on the plates or serve it in a separate bowl.
Video of the Week
Boil and peel the eggs the day before serving. Keep them in a polybag in the fridge.