Celeb chef Sophie Conran’s simple veggie dish with butternut squash, sweet potato, white wine and goat’s cheese is a winner with everyone who has tried it.
- This recipe is also part of our one-month hassle-free meal planner
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 2 onions peeled and sliced
- 2 fat cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
- 2tsp each finely chopped fresh thyme and rosemary
- 1 butternut squash peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 150ml (5fl oz) white wine
- 4 tomatoes peeled, seeded and cut in half
- 150ml (5fl oz) vegetable stock
- 100ml (3½ fl oz) double cream
- 200g (7oz) goat's cheese - preferably a nice, firm goat's cheese log with rind, sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil and butter in a large pan on a medium heat. Bung in the onions and gently fry for about 10 mins or until soft.
Stir in the garlic, thyme and rosemary, followed by the squash and sweet potato. Season with salt and plenty of pepper and continue cooking for 15 mins, stirring often.
Stir in the wine and turn up the heat for a couple of minutes, so the wine reduces by half. Reduce the heat, plop in the tomatoes, then glug in the stock. Stir and boil gently for a further 10 mins, or until all the veg are lovely and soft and cooked to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Preheat the grill.
Stir through the cream and place the cheese on top of the stew. Pop under the grill until all the cheese has melted and started to brown.
Serve with couscous and a crunchy green salad.
<strong>Top tip:</strong> Try it topped with other cheeses too - Roquefort or mozzarella work superbly.