We just love Spanish food here at goodtoknow and have plenty of classic and traditional Spanish cuisine for you to choose from. Whether you want to make a large paella for the family, a simple vegetable tortilla for lunch or a cheeky jug of Sangria to enjoy with your friends, we've got the perfect recipe for you. New to cooking Spanish food? See out guide for how to get started.
Where to begin?
Spanish food is great if you're feeding a lot of people. With plenty of one-pot wonders to choose from, Spanish cuisine is ideal if you're in the mood for something spicy and warming. Supermarkets often have a lot of traditional Spanish ingredients and you can sometimes find some really good bargains. Like most cuisines there are often ingredients that are used more than others so we've rounded up the must-have ingredients when it comes to cooking Spanish food.
- Tomatoes: if you want to add a sweet sharp burst to your dish and give it that classic summery Spanish glow add in some tomatoes. The fresher they are the better. Most Spanish dishes use tomatoes. Mostly fresh tomatoes are used in classic Spanish dishes including cherry tomatoes.
- Paprika: if you want a kick in your dish paprika is the perfect spice. It adds a tangy flavour to any dish and is a subtle way to add flavour without over powering any of the other ingredients. Paprika is often added when cooking so that the spicy flavour can be absorbed by the meat or veg.
- Saffron: what gives the rice in paella that beautiful golden glow? Saffron of course. So if you're planning on making a rice based Spanish dish add 1tsp of saffron powder to the rice when boiling and watch the magic. Saffron is a great way to add an earthy flavour to any dish.
- Chorizo: add a spicy flavour and meaty texture to your dish by adding some sliced chorizo. Its smoky flavour makes every mouthful heavenly. Chorizo is often found in classics like paella and Spanish inspired pasta bake recipes.
- Red wine: both sweet and savoury Spanish dishes often use red wine use red wine. Sangria is one of the most popular drinks originating from Spain and uses red wine as its main cocktail ingredient. This drink is served with a handful of chopped fruit such as lemon and orange and is perfect to sip on during your Spanish feast.
This zesty dish of peri peri prawns with red and green peppers and turmeric goes really…
This classic Catalan beef stew recipe is a family favourite. Saffron, thyme and white wine…
This one-pot Spanish chicken and rice is a simple recipe you can knock up in 45 minutes,…
This classic patatas bravas is so simple and easy to make. It's the perfect side dish with…
Learn how to make classic seafood paellawith this simple step-by-step recipe. Tender fresh…
This Hairy Bikers' Spanish-style chicken bake recipe is a perfect one-pot wonder. The Hairy…
Slimming World's mixed paella is really simple to make and bursting with flavour thanks to…
If you're having a Spanish night in, but don't want to got to too much trouble, try The…
Slimming World's Spanish orange cake is zesty and moist with a soft sponge - you won't…
Flavour-packed skinny Spanish fish stew can be ready in just 30 mins. Made with cod, king…
Latest spanish collections
- Holiday food at home
- Our most popular chicken and bacon recipes
- 33 healthy homemade soups
- 150 family dinners under 500 calories
- 12 recipes you HAVE to make this month
- Jacket potato fillings
- Our best apple cake recipes
- Food hacks: Tips and tricks that are sure to amaze
- The best gingerbread houses you have ever seen