This Slimming World spiced Thai beef rice salad is healthy, low-fat and great if you’re on their Extra Easy diet! This hearty salad is bursting with flavour thanks to the dark soy sauce, chillies and lime – beef has never tasted so good. This recipe serves 4 people and should take approximately 55 mins to cook plus prep time. This salad is best cooked and served straight away but any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 day. Re-heat thoroughly before serving.
- 198g (7oz) dried wild and longgrain rice
- 397g (14oz) lean frying, sirloin or fillet steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1tsp finely grated ginger
- 1tbsp finely chopped lemongrass
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 red chillies, deseeded (optional) and finely chopped
- 1tbsp dark soy sauce
- 100ml (3½ fl oz) beef stock
- ½ cucumber, finely shredded
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1tbsp nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
- ½ tsp artificial sweetener (optional)
Cook the rice according to the packet instructions, drain and transfer to a wide mixing bowl.
Heat a non-stick frying pan or wok over a high heat and when hot, add the beef strips, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, lime leaves, spring onions and red chillies. Stir-fry over a high heat for 5-6 mins or until the beef is sealed and lightly browned.
Add the soy sauce and stock and bring to the boil. Cook over a moderate heat for 8-10 mins, stirring often until all the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and set aside. Toss the cucumber with the reserved rice and divide between four serving plates or bowls.
Mix together the lime juice, fish sauce and sweetener, if using, and stir until dissolved. Spoon this mixture over the beef and toss to mix well. Spoon the beef mixture over the rice and serve immediately.
Video of the Week
'Whenever I cook rice or pasta, the pan would always boil over and mess up my hobs. My mum told me to rub the inside of the pan with vegetable oil to stop this. It works brilliantly.' <strong> Janice Wood, 38, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire </strong>