This delicious homemade vegetable soup recipe is so easy. Capture the freshness and flavour of spring seasonal veg in this delicious soup. Carrots, leeks, celery and new potatoes are just some of the nutritious ingredients in this low-fat dish. It takes only 35 mins to make this classic homemade spring vegetable soup – 15 mins prep time and 20 mins cooking time. This soup serves around 4 people and is great for both lunch or dinner. Packed full of veggies, this soup definitely counts towards your 5-a-day. Serve this hearty soup with crusty bread and enjoy!
- 1 litre hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 100g Chantenay or baby carrots, trimmed and halved lengthways
- 1 stick celery, finely sliced
- 4 baby leeks, trimmed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 250g baby new potatoes, quartered
- 100g fresh or frozen peas
- 3-4 heads baby pak choi or spring greens
- About 12 mint leaves
To make your vegetable soup bring the stock to the boil in a large pan. Add the onion, carrots, celery, leeks and garlic. Return to the boil, then add the potatoes. Simmer for 12-15 mins, until just tender.
Add the peas, then put the pak choi on top, so it’s just below the level of the stock, and simmer for another 5 mins.
Spoon into warm bowls and garnish with the mint, roughly chopped.
If in a hurry, use stock cubes or powder stock and make 1 litre with boiling water.