If you’re having a barbecue and you’re stuck for a vegetable dish why not try this tagine, it sounds exotic but is really simple to make and goes well with pork or grilled fish
- 1kg vine tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
- 250g green beans, blanched and cut into 2 cm pieces
- 175g podded broad beans, blanched and peeled to remove tough outer skin
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp cardamom seeds
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 2tbsp tomato pureé
- 2tsp runny honey
- Garnish with:
- 35g toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1 medium lemon, cut into wedges
Sauté the onion in 2tbsp olive oil until soft before adding the tomatoes and spices. Cook gently until the tomatoes start to break up.
Add the pureé, the other 2tbsp oil and a little water if the sauce seems too thick. Season well.
Add the green beans and simmer gently for 15-20 mins until cooked but still crunchy, adding a little water if necessary.
Stir in the honey and the broad beans and simmer for a further 5 mins, at which point the sauce should be quite thick.
Season to taste and serve with couscous or pita bread.