Save a few calories and go for a salad which doesn’t use mayonnaise in the dressing – this one’s perfect and goes well in burgers and with other barbecue food.
- ½-1white cabbage, finely shredded1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- 4-5 sticks celery, finely sliced
- 2-3tbsp chopped fresh chives
- For the dressing:
- 8tbsp virgin olive oil
- 4tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 level tbsp caster sugar
- 1 level tsp dry mustard powder
- 2 level tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place all the vegetables in a large bowl.
Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing and pour over the vegetables. Stir well to coat them. Keep the salad chilled until serving.
(Not suitable for freezing).
<strong>Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says:</strong> Using a mandolin is the easiest way to slice the vegetables very thinly.