Save a few calories and go for a salad which doesn’t use mayonnaise in the dressing – this one’s perfect and goes well in burgers and with other barbecue food.
- ½-1white cabbage, finely shredded1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- 4-5 sticks celery, finely sliced
- 2-3tbsp chopped fresh chives
- For the dressing:
- 8tbsp virgin olive oil
- 4tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 level tbsp caster sugar
- 1 level tsp dry mustard powder
- 2 level tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place all the vegetables in a large bowl.
Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing and pour over the vegetables. Stir well to coat them. Keep the salad chilled until serving.
(Not suitable for freezing).
Video of the Week
<strong>Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says:</strong> Using a mandolin is the easiest way to slice the vegetables very thinly.