goodtoknow user Angie Hoggett sent in her Mum’s Best Dish, Turkish pecan paradise cake which has been passed down from generation to generation. Angie says: ‘My grandmother made the most gorgeous sponge and then my mum added Turkish delight to it and I made my own twist by adding pecans and rosewater. It holds so many memories of baking together with my mum I will certainly be passing it on.’ This moist nutty pecan sponge is complemented by a fragrant and indulgent rose flavour cream with tasty Turkish delight pieces.
- For the caramelized pecans:
- A cup of chopped pecan nuts
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2tbsp brown sugar
- For the cake:
- 175g of self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g margarine
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- For the cake filling:
- A pot of double cream
- Half a cup of chopped rose flavour Turkish delight
- To serve:
- Sugared rose petals
- Icing sugar
For the pecans:
- On a low heat melt the butter then add in the pecans and brown sugar. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly until the mixture is caramelized.
- Spread onto some wax paper and allow to cool.
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3 and have two 8 inch silicone cake pans ready. In a large bowl sift the flour and baking powder then add the margarine, sugar, eggs and vanilla essence.
- Whisk the mixture together until it is well combined then fold in the caramelized pecans. The mix is ready when it drops off a spoon.
- Divide the mix between the two cake pans then bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until they are golden brown and the centre of the cake is springy to the touch.
Let them cool for a few minutes then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool down completely.
For the cake filling:
- Whisk the cream to soft peaks then gently fold in a little rosewater to taste and also the chopped Turkish delight pieces.
- Spread the cream on top of one of the cakes and sandwich together with the remaining cake.
- Dust the top with the icing sugar and for an added touch of glamour sprinkle some sugared rose petals on the top to wow your friends and family!
See all the entries for our <a href="http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/pictures/34780/mums-best-dish">Mum's Best Dish</a> competition