Strawberries in a salad may sound a little strange, but try it and you will be pleasantly surprised. The flavours really compliment the goats’ cheese
- 150 g (5 oz) strawberries, sliced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Half teaspoon mixed coloured peppercorns, roughly crushed
- 2 slices white bread
- 100 g (4 oz) goats cheese
- 75 g (3 oz) bag mixed salad leaves with red stems
Put the strawberries into a bowl and toss with the vinegar and half the peppercorns. Lightly toast one side of the bread then cut a large heart shape from each slice and top with a slice of goats cheese and the remaining peppercorns. Set aside until ready to serve.
Just before serving, preheat the grill then cook the cheese toasts until the cheese is bubbling and the bread golden around the edges.
Add the salad leaves to the strawberries and toss gently togther. Spoon on to two serving plates and top with the toasts. Serve immediately.
Serve the salad with warm crusty bread or as a salad to accompany seared salmon steaks