Chicken and mushroom carbonara is ready and on the table in half an hour which makes it the perfect midweek meal for a hungry family. Learn how to make this creamy chicken pasta carbonara with our easy video recipe – the kids will love it too and you’ll find yourself making it time and time again!
- 2tsp olive oil
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, about 90g (3oz), diced
- 250g (8oz) mushrooms, chopped
- 4 chicken thigh fillets, about 350g (12oz) total weight, trimmed of fat and cut into 2.5cm (1in) pieces
- 100ml (3½ fl oz) dry white wine
- 200ml pot of crème fraîche
- 300g (10oz) linguine/spaghetti pasta
- 2 medium egg yolks
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Handful of chopped parsley
Heat a large frying pan, or wok, add 1tsp of the oil and the bacon and fry until it starts to brown. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook for about 5 mins until they are browned. Tip these into a bowl and reheat the pan with the rest of the oil. Add the chicken and fry until just coloured.
Pour the wine into the pan, let it sizzle for a couple of minutes, and then add the crème fraîche. Bring to a gentle simmer for 8 mins, put the bacon and mushroom mixture back in and reheat for a couple of mins.
Meanwhile, cook and drain the pasta according to directions on the pack.
Take the bacon and mushroom mixture off the heat, cool for 1 min and then beat the egg yolks, one at a time, into the sauce to thicken it. Season.
Add the hot pasta to the pan, or wok, and mix in well with seasoning and chopped parsley. (Not suitable for freezing).
Video of the Week
<strong>Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says:</strong> This recipe can be made with 2 small chicken breasts, or using leftover cooked chicken.