Chicken and mushroom carbonara is ready and on the table in half an hour which makes it the perfect midweek meal for a hungry family. Learn how to make this creamy chicken pasta carbonara with our easy video recipe – the kids will love it too and you’ll find yourself making it time and time again!
- 2tsp olive oil
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, about 90g (3oz), diced
- 250g (8oz) mushrooms, chopped
- 4 chicken thigh fillets, about 350g (12oz) total weight, trimmed of fat and cut into 2.5cm (1in) pieces
- 100ml (3½ fl oz) dry white wine
- 200ml pot of crème fraîche
- 300g (10oz) linguine/spaghetti pasta
- 2 medium egg yolks
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Handful of chopped parsley
Heat a large frying pan, or wok, add 1tsp of the oil and the bacon and fry until it starts to brown. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook for about 5 mins until they are browned. Tip these into a bowl and reheat the pan with the rest of the oil. Add the chicken and fry until just coloured.
Pour the wine into the pan, let it sizzle for a couple of minutes, and then add the crème fraîche. Bring to a gentle simmer for 8 mins, put the bacon and mushroom mixture back in and reheat for a couple of mins.
Meanwhile, cook and drain the pasta according to directions on the pack.
Take the bacon and mushroom mixture off the heat, cool for 1 min and then beat the egg yolks, one at a time, into the sauce to thicken it. Season.
Add the hot pasta to the pan, or wok, and mix in well with seasoning and chopped parsley. (Not suitable for freezing).
<strong>Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says:</strong> This recipe can be made with 2 small chicken breasts, or using leftover cooked chicken.