A super speedy starter that doesn’t compromise on flavour – watch our video for how to make them
- 375g ready-rolled pastry
- Olive oil for brushing
- 6 tablespoons caramelized onions, from a jar
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 250g dolcelatte cheese, diced or broken into small pieces
- 2 small ripe pears, cored and cut into small pieces
- 100g watercress
- 2 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
- A small handful of walnut halves
- 2 tablespoons of walnut oil
- 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/ gas 6.
Cut pastry into six circles about 10cm in diameter using a large pastry cutter or by cutting around a small plate.
Place on a lightly greased or non-stick baking tray and score a small border of about 5mm or 1cm around the inside edge of each one.
Brush the border with olive oil.
Spread the caramelized onions on top of each piece of puff pastry, within the border.
Scatter over the thyme leaves and half of the cheese.
Place in the oven for 12-15 minutes until the pastry is golden.
While the pasty is cooking, toss together the pears, watercress, celery, walnuts, walnut oil and balsamic vinegar.
Season with salt and pepper and arrange on six plates.
Remove the tarts from the oven and top with remaining cheese.
Return to the oven for a few minutes for the cheese to just start melting.
Then serve with the salad.